Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sometime in November? 2011

I'm really not sure what the date is.  First of all they confuse me by putting the day first, then the month.  How am I ever going to know what the date is.  Second, it has been so busy around here in the past few weeks.  My calender on my iphone has something on it everyday. 

Let's start back a couple of weeks ago with Food Fest.  What an event !!  Two gyms and some outside are are packed full of booths with food at them.  All kinds of food.  There were 12 country booths.  Country booths make their own food from their countries to sell.  Then we had over 50 high school clubs participate with topics of food of their own.  If I had a favorite, it would have been the mac and cheese from one of the high school clubs.  There was entertainment and they love their loud music over here.  My part in all this was to help Chris C.  with the equipment.  When we say equipment, we mean tables, chairs, tableclothes, plates, napkins, bowls, forks, spoons, ice, bouncy castle and tons of other stuff that we had to order and divy out to each booth and set up the gyms as well with tables for people to sit at.  Next year, I have volunteered my services to lead this whole thing.  Luckily I have a great group of people that we can rely on to do their jobs and get everything done.  It will be hectic, but it will make time go faster.  Here's a few pictures of Food Fest 2011


High School Gym Food Fest

Middle School Gym Food Fest

High School Gym crowd

India Booth

K
Korean Booth

Phillipines Booth
China booth
Korean Dress

Somewhere in the midst of Food Fest, we went to Renaissance Festival performance.  Below is a picture of an Exxon co-worker's daughter.  The girls were jesters of course.  The Festival had singers and instrumental entertainment.  At the intermission, they served little hors'derves (sp)



Thank goodness that we had off Monday after Food Fest.  Another holiday!!  No wonder these people take so many 3-4 day trips.  They're off all the time. 


I went on a shopping trip all over the island with the Exxon ladies.  We rented a big bus and stopped at about 6 major spots.  I even won a "Lucky Draw."  It was a tassel that you hang on cabinets, or lamps.  I've seen them even in people's cars.   We went to a place called Pottery Jungle.  Yes, it was in a jungle area.  There were so many pots of all kinds everywhere.  I heard that the government is shutting them down because they need to sell their land to some kind of tech business.  Isn't that said.  For years, your family is doing well and then all of a sudden the government takes it all away. 


Saturday, we went to the high school dance teams show of Romeo and Juliet.  It was fabulous.  There were about 100 in the high school dance class.  I'm sure that you are wondering why we go to all these productions.  Well, Elliott is either doing lighting, backstage or videoing. 


Monday, I took a trip down to Marina Bay to play Mah Jongg with the Exxon ladies again.  I'm not any good at it, but I keep going and I'm learning.  The view was absolutely amazing.  You could look out one side of their apartment and see Marina Bay, the Marina Bay Sands and all the ships off shore.  I have never seen so many ships in all my life.  Out the other side of the apartment, you could see the loading docks with all the cargo containters.  It was really interesting to watch the day to day work at the docks.  So many containers.  
Antique Chinese Piece- I want two
Looking at Marina Bay Sands from Mah Jongg game

Marina Bay from Connie and Joe's apartment

So Many Ships !!







During the week of the 15th, my new friend Chris packed up her house to ship it to Japan.  She is leaving in January and I am extremely sad.  She has been such a big help and a great friend to me even before I left Houston.  I will truly miss her.  While she was packing up the house,  we babysat their dog.  Treasure.  She is such a good dog.  I swear that she was on doggie downers.  Here's a picture of she and Ernie.  She's watching him cut the grass with scissors.  Right after he finished, she went and pottied on it. 

Ernie and Treasure






Well, I guess that's all for now.  Got to get some flyers and other paperwork formated for Trivia Night at the school tomorrow night.  I need to come home to Houston to rest.  Not long.  









No comments:

Post a Comment