Monday, September 12, 2011

12 September 2011 IKEA and 9/11

I can't believe it's already Monday.  Where did the weekend go? 

Saturday was a shopping day for a pantry cabinet of some kind and a dresser/cabinet for the bathroom.  I set up my iphone to map us to IKEA in Tampines (pronounced-Tam pi nays).  It wasn't very far.  Maybe 20km. It was a nice drive and it wasn't very crowded. It looks as if this is the "country" of the island.  Not as many high rises and a lot more land. 
Picture taken across the street from the Giant store

We followed the crowd into the parking garage.  I don't know where the people were, because it really wasn't crowded.  First we went through the showroom and looked at every piece of furniture that could possibly fit into the rooms and work for us.  Of course we didn't take measurements before we left, so we have to go back again next weekend and pick something out.  Found some other interesting things that I thought Jenna and Kacey might like.
Pink Rolly Chair for Jenna's desk


Blue Wardrobe for Kacy

I must say the best part of the store was after we went through the showroom.  Lunch.  Yep.  Swedish meatballs, potatos and Frid Chicken.  You really don't know how good it was.




After the delicious dinner, we went through the store part where they had everything else.  We found a clothes hanging rack to put in the "Helper's" room that I will use to dry my clothes out there instead of the closet in the extra room.  I'm not sure if I'll like it out there though.  It's not air conditioned.  I could use the closet space though. 


After we checked out, we went next door to the huge Courts store.  It's got all the appliances that you could ask for.  I bought a rice cooker.  It is so wonderful.  Makes cooking rice so easy and perfect.  Of course, it may be the rice that makes it so good.  I don't know, but it's easy.  We need so many more things, I can't even name them all. 


Across the stree is the Giant store.  Giant is the name.  It's like a Wal-Mart.  But I would say, it's a little lower level than a Wal-Mart if you can imagine.  But it's huge.  Did a little grocery shopping.  Found Elliott a new shower head that doesn't spray all over the place. 

By the time we left Giant, it was nearly 7.  Watched a movie called Man of the House and ate some popcorn.  The movie was hilarious.  It was filmed around UT with Tommy Lee  Jones as a Sheriff watching over 5 UT cheerleaders that saw a murder.  If you haven't seen it, rent it.  It's really funny.

Sunday was unpacking boxes day and shopping day.  Moved around stuff so I could get to the binders that I want to scan.  So I'll be able to get to them now to help out the girls with Pre-AP.  Maybe I'll get it all done before I get home in 3 years.  Went shopping at the mall around 3 and it wasn't too crowded.  Started on the 4th floor and worked our way down.  They are remodeling the mall nearest us now, so they open up a new store or two every week.  Ate an early dinner and went to cold storage.  I found lots that I needed and wanted.  I'm making stuffed bell peppers today and we're having Brats sausages tomorrow.  I need to go on line and order all the staple stuff and have it delivered.  Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.  But not in the morning.  I have a Food Festival Meeting with PTA.  Maybe I'll have a chance to do it tonight. 

We watched the 9/11 ceremonies on tv.  Luckily all the news channels were putting them on.  I remember where I was.  Do you?

I need to go upstairs and unpack the boxes in the two extra bedrooms.  And then that will be all the boxes.  They can come and get that stuff.  I really think they killed a hundred trees just for us to move.  At least 100. 

I keep forgetting to show you this picture:
Guess what this is?



The day that I was unpacking all the kitchen stuff and washing it, I  apparently used too much soap.  All of the rooms that have water in them, have open drains in them.  I think the toilets go through another pipe, but I'm not sure.  I guess it's a good way to clean the floor too.  I'll be doing that a lot in the kitchen, because I hate that tile.  It looks just like the tile that we had in our house before we put in the slate.  It's light and it gets dirty really easy.  Yuk. I'd cover it with rugs, but you don't want those to get all wet if the soap comes out. 


I gotta for now.  Unpack those boxes and start cooking dinner and washing clothes.


Love to all,

Trece

1 comment: