Friday, September 16, 2011

16 Sept 2011 Big Day At The Market

Chris called early with an offer of two field trips.  Of course, I'm game.  Chris told me about a great "wet market" at Yishon just east of here and a great warehouse store on the southwest side called QB.  I decided to take her up on it because I had nothing better than laundry to do.  Quick 15 minute shower and change and Chris was here to pick me up. 

She showed me how to order from QB on line.  It has meats, cheese, frozen foods, pastas, and other stuff at lower prices.  I ordered about $220 worth of goods.  Since her husband Tim has been tranferred to Japan, Chris has the card. (Chris and her daughter are not leaving until Dec. thank goodness.) It makes it much easier to do these places if you have a car. We went to the wet market first.  It's much nicer than the wet market in China Town.  It's smaller, but much cleaner.  We did have a hard time finding a parking place.  These people don't give you a break.  We found a place but it was in a hard place to get in.  Chris tried backing in and she got it the first time.  She was shocked as she said that she is one of those that doesn't back in.  She pulls in.  I'll be pulling in and I don't care. 

To get in to the main market you have to walk by some unknown terrible smells.  Not Durian.  I'm getting used to that.  We got some shrimp.  I think it was a kilogram, but I'm not sure.  They had the heads on them, but I wasn't afraid.  I've headed shrimp before living on the coast.  Walked across the aisle and ate some fruit that I didn't know what it was.  It was good, but not enough to have to peel a whole bunch.  Picked up some corn on the cob and some fresh green beans. We were both getting hungry but we had places to go.  So no food for us. 

It took forever to get out of the parking lot.  After about 30 minutes in line, we found out that the machine at the access arm was not working and this lady was having to take your NETS card from your car and put it in the machine by hand.  Finally, out of there.  We decided to take these things back to the houses since we needed to go to another place on the other side of the island and we didn't know how long it take.

We headed down the (KJE)  Kranje Expressway  to Boon Lay Way to go to QB.  We had our order numbers ready to just pick it up, but they told us to go to the back.  We didn't understand why until we saw the extra stuff that we could pick up to buy.  I picked up some boysenberrys, some Worchestershire sauce, some pasta, some bacon and some more cheese.  In the end, I had 4 baskets full of meat and other things.  We headed on back to the house and put this all away.  I found out that I could have had this ordered since I had ordered over $200.  But it was worth the experience and the trip to go in the car. 

Of course, I had to walk to the store to get some flour since Cold Storage didn't have any to bring with the order that I ordered on line yesterday.  Unreal.  Flour?  When I got to Fair Price, I couldn't find any regular flour.  All they had was Organic flour, so I decided that I would use Bisquick to cook the shrimp.  Tastes the same. 

It's always such an experience when shopping around here.  I don't know if I told you about the card that you have to have in your car.  It has some sort of electronic card reader that it sits in.  It's used for all kinds of things, like toll roads, parking lots and just about any other thing that they can charge you for.  You add cash to the card at an atm or 7-11 (yes-this is where they all moved to). The card is called a NETS card.  You can also used it at some restaurants.  It's very universal.  But you must have it. 

Tomorrow, we are headed back to IKEA.  I'm getting something to use for a pantry and something to put all the bathroom stuff in.  No matter what.  We also have to go the find a deadbolt.  The one we have on the front door is worn out.  We had keys made to match ours and they won't work because the things is worn out. Of course, I'm not real sure why we are worried.  I understand people don't lock their doors around here.  We also have to look for a gardener.  Someone to look after the 10 square feet of yard that we have.  It's in the lease.  We would like to put some shrubs outside the fence to make it look better.  Now it has weeds.  I'll post pictures when we get that done.  It's will probably be closer to winter.  Don't worry.  It's never really winter here.  It's always the same. 

At least we get to sleep late tomorrow.  Until 7:30.

Love to all,

Trece

No comments:

Post a Comment