Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday- 8 Sept. 2011 My First Booster Club Meeting

I sure am glad it's Friday. I thought that when I quit work I would be able to sleep late every day.  I was wrong.  I get up at 6:30 to make sure that Elliott is getting up.  I've stopped climbing the 32 steps up to his flight to get him.  I just call or text him.  I know that he will answer those. 


Melanie and I have skyped each other while Gracie is eating breakfast.  She is just too cute.  I can't wait to see her in October when they visit us.  It's like having our very own grandchild.


After skyping, I showered up for my first Booster Club meeting.  Luckily it wasn't too humid out at 9:30 when I made the short trip to the school.  Luckily it was downhill all the way.  I don't mind sweating coming back, but I just don't want to be all sweaty when I arrive.  I really can't believe that I'm going to join this.  I'm really not that kind of person.  But I have to do something to keep me busy.  I signed up for three different things this year.  Bake Sales.  I can do that.  Popcorn give away during exam time.  I also signed up for a fund raiser night called Trivia Time.  One of the teachers will be setting it up but she needs help with all the extra stuff for it.  I bet there were 60 or more moms there.  I did mention to one of the AP's that I was interested in subsituting and he was thrilled.  The president of the Booster club wasn't thrilled.  She said I would be subbing all the time if I signed up.  At $265 a day, I think I can afford to do it a couple of days a week.  I was told that the new 8th grade science teachers lives a couple of doors down from me.  Now I know who to give all those binders to after I scan the stuff inside. 


Afterwards, I hiked back up the hill to the house.  I thought about unpacking some more stuff, but nah.  I had done most of it Wednesday and I was sick of doing it.  There are about 10 or 15 more boxes to unpack.  But unfortunately there's not enough places to put my stuff.  We're going shopping Saturday to look for something to serve as a food pantry.  The kitchen will hold it, because the kitchen is very large.  It just needs more cabinets and drawers.  I don't even have a "junk" drawer.  I have junk boxes sitting on the living room floor now. 


I decided that if we were going to eat tonight, I had to make a trip to the Fair Price Market around the corner again.  It's not far. About 1/4 mile.  It's down hill getting there.  It's really humid.  I'm getting used to sweating all the time. There's this smell about this store that's not really appealing.  I don't know if it's the fish or what.  Personally, it's not the cleanest looking place in the world either.  I found some tuna fish in a can, some oreos, some ground meat, some sugar and some chicken feet.  I didn't buy the chicken feet.  Yuck !!  Made the long walk back home, up the hill.  (Why did Ernie think we needed to live at the top of the hill, I don't know,) 


As I was unpacking the groceries, my neighbor Kate rang the door bell.  She wanted to know if I wanted to take a ride with her to Cold Storage Market at the mall.  I jumped at the change.  She has just saved my family from starving.  She said that I needed to insist on keeping the car at least two days a week.  Just for times like these.  Definitely, I am going to learn how to drive here very soon.  I really hate having Ernie be the one to teach me how to drive here.  I'm sure that he'll scream at me.  At Cold Storage, I grabbed fresh fruit, pancake syrup, some pork strips, some mayo and pickles for my tuna, and  two loaves of bread.  I'm in heaven.  If I didn't have to fee the other two, I would just walk down to KFC around the corner every meal.  Thanks, Kate.  She's  originally from Melbourne, Australia.  Now I have 2 friends from Australia.  Mel and Kate. 


Elliott is headed to a birthday party in town tonight.  Apparently the birthday girl wants an Arabian Nights theme and everyone comes in costumes.  Elliott and another boy went shopping Tuesday for costumes.  He didn't wear it out of here, so I don't know what it looks like.  I think it's those balloony looking white pants and a red vest.  I hope he gets to wear clothes underneath.  Sent him with some extra money so he could take a cab home.  The kids that he is running around with are not the oil people kids.  Most of their parents are in the banking business.  I tell him that he may be running with a rich crowd and that he better watch it.  One girl's father is the CEO of Forbes Asia Pacific.  And she has an allowance of $2000 a week.  She said that her parents are making her pay for her college herself.  Can you imagine?  I can't. 


Chris and I took a cab into town yesterday for lunch.  It was great.  We went to Chili's at Tanglin Mall.  All the drink refills that you could ask for.  And lunch was quesadillas and baked potato soup.  Fabulous !!  And we got two bags of chips and salsa to take home free.  This is the place to be during the week.  Good Food, Good Company !!  What more could I ask for.  We got back just in time for the kids to get home from school.  Kind of felt guilty, but that's okay.  I'll take the boys later. 


Tomorrow we are going looking for a pantry no matter what.  I can't stand this mess anymore.  If I have to take a cab and shop for it myself, I will.  It's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  I'll let you know later if I've accomplished my mission.  At this point, it may be a quest instead of a mission. 


Better go for now.  We're watching specials on our terrible cable about 9/11.  It definitely brings back so many sad memories.  Let's pray that nothing like that will ever happen again. 


Love to all,


Trece





No comments:

Post a Comment