Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 1-July 30, 2011





Boy, are we exhausted.  The flight was broken in two parts. The first part was to Moscow. It wasn't a bad flight.  Of course, I should tell you that we got to ride Business First Class because Exxon paid for it.  They like for their employees to get their "rested."  It was really nice.  Within the first two hours, we had 3 course dinner.   Started the flight off watching a couple of movies that I got to choose.  Yes, I got to choose which movies and when I wanted to see them.  Then off to beddie by time.  My seat, which had an extra 8 inches on the side, made into a fold down bed.  They make it down for you if you want them to.  Slept for a few hours. When I woke up, they walking around getting our choices for breakfast.  Before I knew it, we were in Moscow.  Only to get on the plane and do it all over again for another 11 hours. 

Arriving in Singapore was really welcoming to my aching body. We went through immigration check in with no problems.  Got our luggage very quickly and did not have to go through customs.  On the road to our new compartment at Orchard Scotts Residences. 

There are no suburbans, no Tahoes and no big huge trucks.  They do have trucks, but not like the huge diesels that we have to compete with on the road in Texas.  Oh-I forgot- they drive on the left side of the road.  That is going to take some getting used to.  Everything in the car is backwards.  Even the turn signal.  Luckily the brake and gas pedal are the same.  Not sure I'll ever get used to it. 

8 floors up and we're not at the top.  Nice but it does look like some hotels that I've stayed in.  Kind of sterile.  But very clean.  We do have a kitchen and mini-laundry room.  Elliott has his own room and bath, so that's nice.  There are not enough plugs in this place though. 

Need to stay up until at 6.  So we start out about 11 looking for food and places to see.  Head up Orchard Road or at least, I think it was.  There are nothing but shopping and eating malls here.  Ernie says it the National pasttime here.  (shopping)  We walked until I could walk no more.  It is humid here and I think I was having a hard time acclimating to that.  At least it's not 110. 

After walking and walking, we decided to go back to the apartment and sit for a while.  Of course, all of us intending to stay up until at least 6 crashed where we were sitting at the time at 4:30. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're doing a blog!! What a great adventure!!
    What's an eating mall?? Is shopping really the national pastime? If it is, I'm coming to live with you guys. Tell the boys I said hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called a Food Center. It has lots of food booths that you pick what you want to eat and sit down at tables near their booths. It's like junking-fooding it at the mall on steroids. And yes-shopping is the national pasttime. I don't see that they have room to do much else. Walking is a big thing here too. It costs too much to own a car. You have a buy some sort of license to even buy a car. I think that is about $40,000.

    ReplyDelete