Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 29 and 30- Monday and Tuesday-29 and 30 August 2011

We have been here for 4 weeks.  Can't you believe it?  It's beginning to feel like we live here now.  Finally got to meet Chris Covington today.  She drove to the city from the Woodlands to go to lunch.  She just got back in the from the states Saturday night or Sunday morning.  It was like being back in civilization having someone pick me up in a car that wasn't a taxi.  She drives around so well, but she's been here for a while and she was in England for a year before that.  She had a GPS system in the car and that even helped me to know kind of where I was going.  I say kind of loosely.  It still all looks the same in the city. 

We went to a place called Red Dot Brewhouse on Dempsey Hill.  That apparantly is where the ex-pats go tot eat out.  There are several restaurants there, carpet shops, furniture shops, baking shops and other various shops that you can find things that aren't just anywhere in this town.  They do need a mexican food place.  The one on Dempsey Hill is called Margarita's and it is upscale and expensive and still doesn't have "real" cheap mexican food like we have at home. Red Dot was really nice.  It was located in an old Black and White house that had been renovated into a restaurant and brewery.  It was open air though.  The big hug trees hanging down  were gorgeous.  Sorry but I didn't take any pictures this time.  I was too busy talking with Chris about everything.  Maybe I'll get some next time we go.  And I'm sure we will go back to Dempsey Hill for lots of things. 

We got back just in time to meet Elliott from the bus.  He and I went to Novena  and picked up a few things at the store.  Elliott went out later with his friends.  They were going to Dempsey Hill for dinner and go to Clarke Quay later.  Elliott has learned that you don't put in any more money than what you bought or you will never see it again.  Ernie and I went to Somerset and walked around there until most of the restaurants had a line at them.  We settled for a little place called F.I.S.H.  It was okay but I don't think I'd go there again. 

The reason we all went out last night was because it was a holiday Tuesday.  It was Hari Raya.  It's like our Eid Al Fider (sp?) The Muslims celebrate the end of Ramadan on this day.  Most of them go to other families houses to have feasts.  After a month of eating only at night, I would be starving too. I would eat all day long also. 

Today, we went to the Woodlands to take a few things up for the big move.  We also got some cleaning supplies at the mall so we could clean the refrigerator. That frig will never see another cleaning like it for three years.  (That's hopefully when we leave)  We didn't get much else done as we needed to get back to the city for dinner and Elliott had a little homework.  We also made rough sketches of the layout of the place, so we can have an idea of where to tell them to put the furniture when it comes Thursday.  And I did count the number of steps up to Elliott's room.  There are 32. I don't think I'll want to do that too many times during a day.  And I do know that when we come back, we're buying a single story house if we can find one.  We may even build one. 

We got back to the compartment and ran out again to get something to eat.  Of course, this time we had our morning stroll to the MRT and another mall.  I just don't see how they can justify having so many malls.  Luckily, the one that we went to tonight was very crowded.  It's called Wheelock Place or Plaza or something like that.  We went to a Japanese restaurant that Ernie had eaten at before.  It was called Sun with Moon.  I found something that I would eat.  Fried noodles with pork in it.  Of course, it turned out looking more like bacon to me, so I pulled half of it out of the dish.  The guys like Japanese food, so they had no problem picking something to eat.

On the way back to the MRT, we stopped at a store to get some sparkling water for Elliott.  I have to show you what I saw.  It is called perfect or near perfect fruit. But look carefully at the price. 

Yes, you are reading correctly !! 69$, not cents.  They are huge grapes and they have no blemishes.  I would love to have tried one, but at that price, it would have been 1$ a grape.  I don't think I'll be buying any of those.  I need other things more than that. I looked for some beef to make chicken fried steak with.  Elliott wants some so bad.  He's told his friends here about it and they want some also. I can't imagine never having eaten chicken fried steak.

Back to the compartment.  And down for the night.  School and work day tomorrow. I need to find the post office and mail a few things back home and I need to set up the cable and internet installation date.  They have us set up for Sept. 9, but that is too far away.  We didn't expect to be moving in this quickly when we set up the time.  Internet is a must.  We need to stay connected.  But, if I can't get it until Sept 9, then I'll have to take a cab to the Starbuck's in the mall or something.  TV, I can do without.  There's not much on anyway.  All I want for Christmas is a Slingbox, Santa.  Seriously !!

Better get to sleep.  It's nearly midnight and I'll be up at 6:15 to make sure Elliott get's on the bus.  Luckily, this only has to happen 3 more days.  Then he gets to sleep until 6:30 when we are in the house and leave the house at 7:30.  I'm wondering what he does if it's pouring down rain outside.  Take a taxi??

Goodnight to all and love you lots,

Trece


No comments:

Post a Comment