Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 25 and 26 Thursday and Friday- 25 and 26 August 2011

Thursday was a really lazy day.  I just sat around and did laundry all morning.  Still didn't catch up. 

Elliott had a good day at school.  I hate to say this, but he felt better after he knew an answer in Calc and a Korean kid was arguing that he had it wrong.  It made him feel really good that a Senior Korean in his class was wrong and he was right.  We told him that it probably humiliated him for life.  That goes on a lot at this school as many kids are asians that got in on grades and money and aren't even american.  They are trying to keep their academic standards high.  I guess this makes the "lazy american" work or go down in flames. 

We went out to the Woodlands to check up on the house with the real estate lady.  We made the final walk through.  They did fix the newel post on the first floor landing. It was so wobbly that anyone would have fallen if they had grabbed it.  I wonder what they three boys did to it when they were living there.  Everything else was okay except the kitchen sink.  It looks like somebody poured acid in it.  I think it's made out of corian.  I'll definitely will need to put mats at the bottom of the sink.  Luckily, I think we brought one just to fit. 

I do need to buy something that will add some cabinet and counter space in the kitchen.  It has a lot of room in the kitchen but very little counter space.  I forgot to tell you that we have propane over here for our stoves.  Yes, we use a huge four or five gallon propane tank for the stove.  Gas is not piped in.  It has a big old "Esso" sign on it, so I guess I should be happy that at least they use Exxon materials.  If it runs out in the middle of cooking, you just call the guy and he'll be around in a few hours.  can you believe.  My luck, I'll be in the middle of a big Thanksgiving dinner and it will run out.  I hear that you can get a real Turkey from Mr. Ho at school to cook for Thanksgiving.  I've heard that he will cook it for you also. 

We have word that our shipment will arrive the 28th.  They told us that we will be able to move in Sept. 1 and 2.  I can't wait to see my stuff.  I heard that they come in and unpack everything and put it where you want it.  I think I'll have them put my kitchen stuff in the dining room and I'll put it away as I can.  I brought shelf plaster cover and I want to put that down first.  I do dread buying all the stuff that goes in the kitchen like staples and stuff for the frig.  We threw away and gave away a lot of stuff. 

I'll fill you in on how that goes next week.  Luckily, we have a party to go to Saturday night so we won't be doing unpacking everyday. 

Friday, I rode a cab with Joelle to my first EME (Exxon Mobil Expat) meeting.  It was a Welcome party for all the new members to meet the old members.  It felt like my Women's party except we were inside.  It was in the Woodlands just down the hill and around the corner from our new place.  There were probably 30 women there.  I think there were at least 5 new women.  I had heard of several from Ernie mentioning their husbands names.  It was a really nice party.  We had a little game "Two truths and a lie."  You had to write down 2 truths about yourself and 1 lie.  There were several interesting things that I found out about some of them.  One that I put down was that I made a mean chicken salad.  Several said this was my lie and that I don't cook.  Well, I guess I'll have to make my chicken salad for something.  

Everyone asked where I was moving to and I said "around the corner and up the hill to 1 Oakwood Grove."  The ones that live in the Woodlands said " Great, that's the one with the really big kitchen."   I guess I can host a cooking class meeting in my kitchen.  I told them that Ernie picked out the place and they were all shocked that I let Ernie pick it out without me.  I told them that he is pickier than I am.  I'm sure that we will be happy here.

During the party, several were talking about what we miss the most in the states and unanimously it was decided that we all wanted to get in a car and drive and take care of all the errands that we wanted to and finish up at the grocery store and bring it all home at one time.  Shopping here is a real pain.  I'm not sure how many of them drive.  If you live in the city, there is really no need to drive if you live near an MRT.  If you are in the Woodlands, it's good to be able to drive at least one day a week.  I have a year to get my license.  They only have a written test.  It's multiple choice.  I was told that the language is tricky, otherwise, I should be able to pass.  There is one question that says "If you are prone to excessive giddiness, should you drive?"  Seriously !! Giddiness?  I should be able to pass this.  I think I'll just drive around the Woodlands though.  It's smaller.  Unfortunately, they are not very creative with street names.  In the area where I am, the names are Ashwood Grove, Beechwood Grove, Oakwood Gove, Woodgrove Ave, etc.  In the town area of Woodlands, the names are Woodlands Ave. 1,3,5, 41, etc.  Why don't they just call them Ave. one, three, and five?

We had a meeting and discussed what the up coming events of the group were.  Next Saturday, we are having a Wine and Chees Party with the spouses at one of the black and white houses owned by Ann Lockett.  She apparently is a local antiques dealer.  Ernie said the men at work cringe when you mention her name because she will sell anything in her house at the price.  I can't wait.  We'll need the break from unpacking and I hope she has a "pie crust table."  I've been looking for one for years.    The next event is a Carpet Auction.  I can't wait for that.  We need carpets as I already hate these marble floors.  Too cold and too hard.  I only have two now and I think I'll need 4 or 5 big ones and some smaller ones for the door and other places.  All that "extra money" we're making will go for carpets.

We left the party about 1:30 and rode the MRT back.  That was an experience.  It was packed and it did not have many ex-pats on it.  And it was a long ride. I got off at Novena and picked up some snacks for Elliott to eat when he got home.  Finally made it back to the compartment around 3.  Made my usual walk down to meet Elliott at 4.  He had another good day and already had plans to meet with his friends back at the Woodlands to shop and go to a school dance.  He left at 5. 

I read a little and played on the computer a little waiting for Ernie to get home.  We decided that we would just eat what we had in the fridge and not go out.  Elliott got home around 11.  He and two other boys shared a cab back from the Woodlands.  He said that it was the best school dance that he had ever been to.  That is a good sign.  He's been enjoying Tech Theater too.  His teacher is new this year and he is glad to have Elliott because he knows a lot about the Theater business.  I'm not sure if that's a good idea.  But at least, it keeps him busy. 

Off to bed. Good night to all.  Hope you all had a great first week of school.  I don't miss school, but I do miss you !!

Much love to all,

Trece

Not sure what the





No comments:

Post a Comment