Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 13- 13 August, 2011

Up early today.  We left for school orientation for new students at 7 a.m.  I arrived and parked at about 7:45.  We were first in the parking lot.  We were told that parking would be a problem.  Well-I guess it wasn't.  Walked around the campus a bit, just looking amazed.  We didn't know exactly where we were supposed to go.  Headed to the high school and ran into Kim, the Booster Club President.  They have one big Booster club that supports everything at the high school.  She showed us the way to the Drama Theater which is where we were supposed to meet.  It is amazing. I didn't want to embarrass Elliott by taking a picture, but it is like our teaching theater but with a really nice stage area and stuff  to go with it.  After a while parents started coming in with their high school students.  The principal, Dr. Tim Stewart, is a really nice young man.  Very personable.  It is his 2nd year here at the school.  I have heard that he runs a tight ship though.   That will be great.  He intoduced his two "Deputy" principals and many others that I'm sure that I will not remember.  They have 8 or 9 counselors for the high school.  They also have a regular psychologist for the campus.  I guess they need it with these kids that come in from everywhere.  Elliott is doing much better.  He seems to have found some really nice friends.  And hopefully studious too. 


One Middle School Atrium


PTA Office for SAS - yes the whole thing


After a bit, they sent the kids on their way with their peer support buddies to take tours of the school and meet their teachers.  We went on a parent tour of the campus with Kim.  I have never walked and climbed so many stairs in all my life.  I know that I'm losing weight.  It's either lack of food or so much walking and a lot of sweating it off.  We ended up in the 2 story library.  With food at the end of the trail.  Bagels-yes bagels.  I can't wait to find out where they get these,  They were as good as Einsteins.  We mingled with other parents, the principals and some people that Ernie worked with.  I did ask Dr. Stewart if they needed subs.  He definitely told me to go to the main office and sign up.  I think I'll stick with junior high though.  These high school kids would kill me.  They are all extremely bright children.  Who needs GT, when you have this school.  And Teresa, I don't think they have SPED.  Maybe in the elementary, but not the high school. 

We had to stand in line for Elliott's grade level shirt.  It's a yellow polo with 2013 on it.  They have a day every other week that they have to wear these.  They do some competitions with the grade levels. at this time.  Otherwise, they wear blue shorts (or pants) and white polos with SAS on them.  Every other week, I think they get a free dress day.  I'm not sure about that though. 

Elliott has BLOCK SCHEDULING!!!! Except they do it even better. They have an A and B Day and they reverse the daily schedule and have a C and D day.  Every other day, he has a free period to study.  Can you imagine having that schedule?  I don't think it's clicked to him how fantastic of a school this is.  We were also told that this is a somewhat liberal school also.  They acutally teach the kids to use critical thinking.  Imagine that.  Not just teaching facts for TAKS. 

Ernie and I went around to visit some of his teachers.  We met his Physics teacher.  Young guy from New Mexico.  This is his first year at the school.  We then hiked up to the 3rd floor and met his Calc teacher.  A girls soccer coach  and a little younger than us.  I think he's been there a while.  I sure hope he's better than Mrs. Digby.  After that we climbed another set of stairs (yes-4th floor)  to his Chinese teacher.  Elliott had already been up to meet her and she remembered him.  Luckily a girl was talking with the teacher and said that she was also first year chinese.  She moved from Baton Rouge, La and had lived in Katy.  Ernie of course knows her dad.  (Exxon has plant and offices in Baton Rouge and Katy)  Made us feel better when someone else from the south is taking Chinese with him. 

We headed down to the Elementary Gym to go by all the organization booths from fencing club to scout group to AWA to the embassy.  Found out that the American embassadors son is working on his eagle now also and they are having a barbeque at their house Sept. 4.  We told Elliott that he definitely needed to stay connected there. 

Elliott decided to stay with some friends their as we went back to the apartment and started looking for a laundry for Ernie.  I don't do shirts. We went to Novena Square where we had been last week.  There is a laundry guy in the mall on the 4th floor.  More escalators.  There is a problem with this guy though.  He also does the laundry for Hilton hotel.  Which means his laundry will not be done for 4 days.  I guess we'll be okay until we move north to the house.  Went to the market and picked up some stuff for breakfast.  Bacon and eggs and bread.  Did I tell you that they keep their eggs on the shelf and not refrigerated.  Of course they do have an expiration day.  I immediately put them in the frig when I got home. 

Ern and I sat around the apartment looking at the stuff we had gotten today.  So overwhelming.  Elliott came home for a bit to take a shower and head up to a welcoming pizza party at one of the students houses.  It didn't last long as he and several other boys went to see Planet of the Apes at the movie.  I still can't believe that I'm letting him out in a foreign country alone late at night.  Actually, I would feel safe at night here also.  I'll let him continue as long as he stays away from Orchard Towers.  (Take a guess)

Good Night to all.

Trece

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for Elliott! The description of that school makes me want to come work there! lol, NO TAKS?!?! WHAT?!?!!? haha if I wasn't married then I think I'd be there in a heartbeat lol. I'm so glad he's making friends too, I was a little worried for him after that day at Panera Break. :0) We go back tomorrow for inservice, whoopie!! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete