Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 10-August 10, 2011

Slept in a little today.  Went up for breakfast and it was extremely crowded.  Several "old" people were just sitting around having coffee.  Finally they noticed that several of us were standing and eating and they got up and gave away the tables.  Around here they only rush in the MRT stations.  When they are shopping, it's like having Sunday drivers all around you.  I've never seen people move so slow.  Drives me crazy !!

Handed off our passports to some guy that is supposed to pick up our dependent passes.  Can't do anything until he gets back.  (I hope he comes back.)  I guess I'll try a little laundry while we wait.  The guy made it back around 1:30.  He left with our passports about 9.  He could have gone to Malaysia and back with them.  It sounds like a racket to me. 

Elliott and I road the MRT to ChinaTown so I could show him the market.  It's crazy.  We went looking for the iphone cover that looks like a flipflop.  Got a hot pink one. Only $10.  Really cute, but I'm not sure it's really practical.  Now it doesn't fit in my Vera Bradley wallet very well.   We'll see how it goes. 

Took him to the "wet market" where all the veggies, spices and meats were.  We left immediately as the fish were smelling a little ripe in the afternoon. 
Elliott decided that Chinatown is where we need to go to bring back "stuff" for our friends.  I did find a plethora of frig magnets and lots of other touristy stuff.

On the way back to the apartment, we stopped at a different mall.  We had been to the market there before, but not the mall area. We found a KFC to eat at.  It's just as greasy here as it is at home.  We went up to the 6th floor and found a store called "Spotlight."  It had just what we needed and more.  Found Ernie a coffee mug to take to work.  He needs one and has to bring his own.  Found a plain white one for $1.20.  He'll be so happy.  This store has everything from material, to scrap booking supplies.  I'm not sure how to describe it.  It's like the Wal-Mart of everything else but food and cleaning supplies.  There is also a movie theater in this mall.  And a Yamaha piano and musical instrument  dealer. 

I'm cooking tonight.  Actually, I'm just heating up the cooked chicken that we bought yesterday.  I decided that rice would be good since we bought some.  Now to learn to use the rice cooker.  Again, I had to look up the instruction manual for the machine.  I didn't find the exact one so I just winged it.  I didn't have a measuring cup, so I guessed about how much rice and water I needed.  Good thing we bought Ernie the white coffee mug because I don't have a measuring cup.  Pretty much guessed everything.  Threw it in the pot, closed the lid and pushed a button.  Using the timer app on my phone, I guess that it needed to cook for 20 minutes. Started to smell good.  Luckily, it turns off when it thinks it is done.  Rice and Chicken.  Tasted just like home.  Now to do something that I haven't done for a long time.  Hand wash the dishes.  We bought some "Dawn" detergent today, so it wasn't so bad.  The stuff that they had stinks.  It reminds me of the "swamp water" that used to clean the cafeteria floors at school.

That's all for another day. 

Good Night.

Trece


1 comment:

  1. lol Swamp water!!! whoo hoo!!! I just love reading all of your thoughts about things, it cracks me up. Hopefully the guy who took your passports isn't stealing your identity. ;0)

    ReplyDelete