Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 17- 17 August 2011

Got up early again to make sure Elliott got out the door on time.  So my day started at 6:00 a.m.  Ernie leaves about 6:00 to make sure that he can get a parking place that is easy to back into.  Remember that it is required that you back into.  Makes since at the end of the day when they are all lining up to pull out quickly.  I guess you just get better when you do it all the time. 

Watched the CNN International News after they left.  Not much that's local on that news.  We do have a local station but I don't know any place that they are talking about so I watch international news..  I try to read the Chronicle on line and catch up with anything going on in Houston and Texas.  I do know that the Sling box is at the top of my list for Christmas.  I need some real tv.  I could watch Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.  Sometimes I start with Hallmark Channel.  Old Oprah shows are on it.

Decided to try and hook up the Vonage myself and call Kacey and Brandon.  It was really good talking to them.  Unfortunately, the phone battery died when I was talking to Kacey.  I let it charge up and called her back to let her know what happened and warned her that it would happen again.  I hope we don't have these problems at the house.  Isn't technology great!!  It makes me feel like I'm not so far away.

After talking with my contact, Chris Covington, about where to find towels for PE, I got myself up and took the MRT to TANGS.  I wasn't really sure how to get there.  You get off the MRT, go upstairs and look around for signs that say where you are.  You have to decide whether you need to go up another level or go under a street through a crosswalk or stand there and stare or just sit down and cry.  I went one way and ended up on the wrong side of the street, so I had to back track and try to get to the other side of the street and the correct corner.  I'm glad that I have a generally good sense of direction. 
Went up to the street level and there it was-TANGS.  It's like a Dillards back home.  You walk in off the street and see all the perfume and make-up counters just like you do back home.  They have Clinque and Estee-Lauder and some others that I recgonize.  Yay!!  Found my way to Basement 1 where the house wares are located.  There was a sale going on but I did okay.  Unfortunately, Elliott will be carrying bright green towels to PE.  Oh well.  He told me later that they actually take a shower there. Another story)

Looked around to find something to eat there but it was not identifiable so I hopped back on the MRT to Novena Square.  Stopped at the Burger King.  Yum.  Walked around some after lunch looking for a Hallmark card shop.  HaHa.   There is a store called Precious Thoughts.  It's got loads of Precious Moments stuff and some Hallmark cards.  Picked out a couple of cards that were reasonble-at I thought.  Two cards-$17.80.  That is highway robbery.  Enjoy your Hallmark card shops !!

Dropped by the Cold Storage market to pick up some more Sparkling Water for Ernie and found some juice and tea that I wanted to try.  Now I have a load.  Plus I had cards that I did not want to crush.  I only had to travel one stop so it wasn't so bad.  I guess that I need to buy one of those little carts.  Too bad that I didn't get another cart there.  It would have been considered the Cadillac style here.  Of course, they may have charged me a fee for having a larger cart. 

On the way back, I stopped and watched a cat outside the MRT station. He was focused on something so intently, that he didn't even notice people were walking by.  He looked like a lion staring at his prey.  When he finally pounced on it, all I could see was something wiggling like a worm or a snake.  That's when I decided to walk on home.   He has about 6 buddies.  Apparently, we were told,  if you have strays around, you are supposed to feed them and they stick around.  I guess it keeps the rats and other critters away from the station. 

Got back just in time to put my feet up for a while before Elliott got in.  He always comes home an amazing story.  They divide up the upper classman from lower classman in the gym showers.  He said that there were very few in his gym class and they actually have individual showers with curtain and soap dispensers at each one.  He said that they had to do the Fitness test today and he had  to do something new.  He said they did something called "Pacer."  He said they were insane.  He said he was okay at it. He tried to explain it to me, but I was lost.  Instead of doing sit-ups, you do Planks.  You support yourself on your elbows and toes and hold it there for 2 or more minutes.  He said it was extremely strenuous. 

Typing this up and calling it quits unless something interesting happens.  Whoops, I just realized that I missed the PTA meeting today.  Oh well, I'll make it up there when we move up there.  I don't want to ride a 45 minutes train ride all over the island just to go to a PTA meeting.  Is that being a bad parent? 

Much love to all,

Trece

P.S. To my language arts friends, please forgive any grammatical errors and all my corny essays.  I would have never mad a 4 on a paper anyway.  Special hugs to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment